Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Sage Swinton

Mine worker critical after accident at Mandalong

A man remained in a critical but stable condition on Wednesday after a mining accident at Centennial Coal Mandalong on Tuesday.

Five ambulances and the rescue helicopter were called to reports of an explosion at the mine about 10.30am. Two men were injured in the incident.

A man in his 30s was flown to Royal North Shore where underwent surgery on Tuesday night, and was in a critical but stable condition on Wednesday.

A second man was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a serious but stable condition. He was released from hospital Wednesday morning.

Centennial Coal said employee assistance providers had been on site and were working with the all employees impacted by the incident.

"Mine inspectors returned underground today and are continuing their investigation. Mining has ceased in the area near the incident," a spokesperson said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.