Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Business
Joanna Bourke

Mike Ashley slams Goals Soccer Centres over its SFO move

Mike Ashley: The sportswear tycoon vomited into a fireplace at a management meeting, a court heard (Picture: PA)

Retail tycoon Mike Ashley on Tuesday slammed a “far too late” move by Goals Soccer Centres, the embattled firm he tried to buy, to work with the Serious Fraud Office on an accounting probe.

Ashley spoke out after it was reported that pitches operator Goals has called in the SFO to examine an apparent fraud that resulted in its shares being delisted from AIM in September.

Ashley, whose Sports Direct is the largest shareholder in Goals, said this action is: “Far too little, far too late and is a deliberate case of closing the stable door well after the horse has bolted.”

Sports Direct had been eyeing a takeover of Goals before abandoning that last week, accusing the board of not engaging with an offer process.

Goals has had a turbulent period since its shares were suspended in March following the discovery of an unpaid tax bill of £12 million.

The company uncovered “improper behaviour” going back almost a decade.

That made it impossible to file latest accounts on time. Former boss Keith Rogers and finance chief Bill Gow are under investigation over historic financial irregularities.

Goals today declined to comment. The SFO said it could not confirm or deny interest in the matter.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.