Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Sport
Paul O'Hehir

Mick McCarthy won't be calling up Aaron Connolly replacement for crucial Denmark clash

Mick McCarthy won’t be calling up a replacement for Aaron Connolly who was last night ruled out of the New Zealand and Denmark games.

The Brighton forward, 19, burst onto the senior international stage last month with a debut in Georgia before starting in Switzerland.

But following a scan in England yesterday afternoon, the Brighton and Ireland medical teams have been forced to rule him out of the double-header.

Mick McCarthy said: “Our team doctor Alan Byrne has spoken to the Brighton medical team and had a look at the scans.

“The scans have confirmed the groin injury and Aaron won’t be ready in time for New Zealand and Denmark.”

Connolly was substituted at half-time in Brighton’s 3-1 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Aaron Connolly in action for Brighton at Old Trafford (AMA/Getty Images)

And while it was initially thought to be a precautionary measure, the full extent of his injury was revealed yesterday but it is unclear how long he is sidelined for.

Speaking earlier in the day, before the scan results were known, McCarthy said Connolly had “really added something to the squad.”

The Ireland boss continued: “In the Georgia game, his cameo appearance was far better than his other appearance in Switzerland, but that could be said of all of us.

“But you can see what he brings in that 12 or 15 minutes, when he came on [in Georgia].”

McCarthy was tempted to phone Connolly himself on Sunday evening to get the lowdown on his fitness but shelved those plans.

“I thought: ‘no, he’s a young lad.’ I wasn’t going to compromise him by ringing him and speaking to him before I get it from people in authority, his manager or medical staff.  

“I know what players are like: ‘I’ll be alright, I’ll be alright’ and their leg is hanging off and he’s actually got a grade two tear or something.”

McCarthy said he does not need a replacement for Connolly as he has six other strikers available.

Troy Parrott, David McGoldrick, Callum Robinson, Sean Maguire, Scott Hogan and James Collins are all vying for inclusion this week and next.

“I’m happy with the squad I have. I’ve plenty of numbers. There’s loads of them,” said the manager.

Hearts midfielder Glenn Whelan is available following recent hamstring trouble and McCarthy added: “He’s alright, he’s as fit as a flea.”

If you haven't already, be sure to like our Irish Mirror Sport and Irish Mirror GAA pages on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.                                            

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.