Michail Antonio pens West Ham contract extension and continues push for new striker signing this month
The 31-year-old has signed on for another two years with the Hammers, taking his time at the club up to 2025.
Antonio, who has scored nine goals in all competitions so far this term, signed a new deal in November 2020 and West Ham have now taken up the option of an extra year that was included in that agreement while adding another 12 months on top.
Despite a slump over November and December, the Jamaica international has returned to form since an enforced break following a positive test for coronavirus and has two goals and an assist in his last three games.
"I’m really pleased for him because he’s so important for our team," manager David Moyes said of Antonio following his goal at Crystal Palace on New Year’s Day.
"He leads the line for us, he can win us games on his own, he can make goals for us."
The club confirmed the deal on Friday. A statement read: “Everyone at the club is pleased that Michail has agreed to extend his stay at London Stadium and looks forward to many more goals, assists and celebrations in the future.”
Despite agreeing his new deal, Antonio has continued to call for West Ham to sign some competition and support up top.
"One thing that we definitely need is a striker," Antonio said on the Footballer's Football Podcast on Thursday.
"I like a challenge, I always want my shirt and want to play. We've got quite a few injuries at the back, we've lost Kurt [Zouma], Angelo [Ogbonna] and Cress [Aaron Cresswell], so we must be looking at centre-halves as well."
Meanwhile, Moyes may be hampered for this weekend's FA Cup third-round game against Leeds by a small number of positive Covid-19 tests in the group.
There was no concern on Friday morning that the game would be under threat, while Pablo Fornals will be available once more following his isolation.