Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Bob Van Voris

Michael Cohen prosecutors get 12 audio recordings to review

NEW YORK _ U.S. prosecutors probing Michael Cohen are reviewing 12 audio recordings seized in an April raid of the home, office and hotel room of President Donald Trump's former lawyer and fixer.

The retired judge who is deciding whether prosecutors may review the seized material said in a Monday filing that "the parties" _ presumably Trump and perhaps Cohen _ no longer object to the government listening to "12 audio items." The parties had previously claimed that the 12 items were "privileged" and couldn't be seen by the government.

On Friday, Trump's lawyer, Rudolph Giuliani, confirmed that Cohen had secretly recorded a conversation in which he and Trump discussed payments to a former Playboy model who claimed she'd had an affair with Trump. The disclosure spurred speculation that Cohen had made other recordings of Trump.

Federal prosecutors in Manhattan are probing Cohen's business dealings and his involvement in paying women to keep quiet about their alleged relationships with Trump.

The recordings were given to the government on Friday, Barbara Jones, the retired judge overseeing the review, said in her one-page order.

"On July 20, 2018, the parties withdrew their designations of 'privileged' as to 12 audio items that were under consideration by the special master," Jones said. "The special master released the 12 items to the government that day."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.