Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Tashan Deniran-Alleyne

Michael Carrick confirms Manchester United transfer target as Carlos Baleba 'agrees' personal terms

Michael Carrick has confirmed he remains open to more business, as Manchester United close in on the signing of Carlos Baleba.

Standard Sport understands Man United are in negotiations with Brighton for Baleba as they look to confirm their fourth arrival of the summer after Andrey Santos, Youri Tielemans and Karl Darlow.

LIVE BLOG: All the latest transfer news and rumours

There are even suggestions that a medical for Baleba has already been planned with the midfielder waiting for the green light to travel to Manchester after agreeing personal terms.

With the Red Devils are expected to get a deal - worth around £65million - for the Cameroon international over the line, Carrick has revealed United will remain active in the window all the way up until transfer Deadline Day.

It has been widely reported that Man United also want to bring in a left-back to provide Luke Shaw with competition and cover following the exit of Tyrell Malacia.

Lewis Hall said to be Carrick’s first-choice target. However, a deal for the defender looks unlikely with Newcastle digging their heels in after already losing Anthony Gordon, Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimaraes this summer.

Speaking in United’s pre-Hull press conference on Thursday, Carrick was asked about the club’s transfer plans, specifically around signing a left-back.

He said: “I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad. We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.

“You know, I said the same thing to you last time. So, yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it.

“And I think we're a good way to doing that, so far.”

Carlos Baleba is expected to be a Manchester United player soon (London Standard)
Carlos Baleba is expected to be a Manchester United player soon (London Standard)

Racing Santander defender Jorge Salinas has been touted as a potential alternative to Hall, with Man Utd scouts said to have been impressed by his performances during the Under-19 European Championships.

The versatile defender has three years to run on his contract at Racing and has also attracted interest from Barcelona.

Interest in the 19-year-old has prompted Racing sporting director Chema Aragon to make it clear that Salinas can leave - but only on the condition that the €16million (£13.7m) release clause in his contract is triggered.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.