Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Barry Neild and agency

Michael Adebolajo injuries: prison officers deny wrongdoing

Prison officers have denied any wrongdoing after Woolwich murder suspect Michael Adebolajo lost two teeth when he was restrained in jail, a trade union said on Friday.

The 28-year-old was injured at high security Belmarsh prison in south-east London on Wednesday, where he is being held on suspicion of murdering soldier Lee Rigby.

The Prison Officers' Association hit out at the Ministry of Justice, claiming it had done "little to avoid sensationalist reporting" of what happened.

The union said that on Wednesday a prisoner was subjected to "approved techniques called 'control and restraint'".

"Our members strenuously deny any wrongdoing and the POA will be supporting them legally and emotionally during this difficult time. The use of restraint is only used where necessary when dealing with incidents up and down the country."

The POA said it would fully co-operate with any police investigation, and expected the officers to be fully exonerated.

Shortly after the injuries occurred, the prison service refused to confirm reports that Adebolajo had suffered injuries to his mouth or that he had been targeted by prison officers.

A spokeswoman said: "The police are investigating an incident that took place at HMP Belmarsh on 17 July. It would be inappropriate to comment while the investigation [is] ongoing."

Adebolajo, from Romford, is accused of hacking Rigby to death near Woolwich barracks in south-east London on 22 May. Michael Adebowale, 22, from Greenwich, has been accused alongside him. The trial is scheduled to begin on 18 November.

Adebolajo faces further charges related to the attempted murder of two police officers and possession of a firearm with intent to cause others to believe that violence would be used.

Rigby, a machine gunner and ceremonial drummer in the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was given a military funeral last week. The prime minister, David Cameron, and mayor of London, Boris Johnson, joined thousands of mourners at the ceremony in Bury, near Manchester.

Rigby's death has sparked several clashes between rival protesters despite pleas from police and the soldier's family for it not to be used for political gain.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.