Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Ryan Ramgobin

MH17: Watch Russian missile-maker ‘debunk’ official report into plane disaster

Almaz Antey, a Russian state-controlled missile-maker, has conducted its own investigation of last year’s crash of the MH17 airliner.

It contradicts the official Dutch Boards investigation which says a Russian-made warhead fired by a Buk missile system in Ukraine was responsible for the disaster that killed all 298 people on board.

Almaz Antey’s experiment involved blowing up a Buk warhead next to the cockpit of a retired Ilyushin 86 airliner.

Yan Novikov, the chief-executive of Almaz-Antey, said that the experiment entirely refutes the Dutch Boards conclusions regarding the type of missile and the launch area.

Mr Novikov claims the plane was brought down by an older model of Buk missile no longer used by Russia. His company also believes the missile was launched near a village called Zarochenske, south-west of the crash site.

The Malaysian airliner was en route to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam when it was downed over east Ukraine, killing a total of 298 people on July 17, 2014.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.