MIAMI _ Jacob deGrom was scratched at the last minute from his start Friday night because he had to "take care of some family issues," Mets manager Mickey Callaway announced before the series-opener at Marlins Park.
While the team would not elaborate on the matter, they said deGrom will start Saturday's game.
It made for some quick reshuffling for Mets manager Mickey Callaway.
"We had to make a late call, just a few minutes ago. Jacob deGrom will pitch (Saturday), He has to take care of some family issues today," Callaway said. "We optioned Gerson Bautista and activated Corey Oswalt, so he'll start for us tonight."
While this is just another hurdle the Mets have had to deal with this season, they were seemingly prepared for it. Oswalt had already been summoned to Miami to start Saturday's game, part of the decision to move Seth Lugo back into the bullpen from the rotation.
The bullpen suffered its major-league worst 21st loss of the season on Wednesday night.
"I think that obviously you guys have seen we have been struggling with our pen," Callaway said. "We think he's a good presence down there and a good option. We feel at this point where we are at as a team, we are a better team with Lugo in the bullpen."
The right-hander is 1-2 with a 3.52 ERA in five starts this season. He pitched to a 2.27 ERA in 21 appearances as a reliever.
Lugo said that if it helped the team win, he was OK with the decision, but he has not been shy about his desire to start in the past.
The bullpen, however, was in dire need of him.
With a 4.83 ERA, they have the fifth highest in the majors and are tied for having allowed a big league-leading 47 home runs.
The Mets are hopeful the next time that they need a fifth starter, lefty Jason Vargas, who is on the disabled list with a strained right calf, will be ready to come back.