Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Andy Ha

Mesut Ozil stance on Arsenal exit as transfer deadline approaches

Arsenal are working to complete the signing of Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey before the transfer window shuts.

Gunners first team manager Mikel Arteta is keen to add a dynamic central midfielder to his squad, and Partey has long been identified as the number one target after his stellar performances at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium.

Atletico were adamant that the Ghana international's £45million release clause be paid in full in order to sanction a sale, something that Arsenal were initially reluctant to do without raising funds by selling some of their fringe players.

But the failure to land Lyon's Houssem Aouar has intensified the Gunners' efforts to land a new midfielder, and a renewed bid was made on Monday morning, with the player understood to have completed a medical and travelled to London to complete the formalities of his move.

James Benge provides Thomas Partey medical update and latest transfer news

Whilst Arsenal are close to landing one of their major summer targets, one player who won't be leaving the club before the deadline is Mesut Ozil.

The 31-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season but as one of Arsenal's top earners, it is understood the Gunners were keen to shift his salary from the wage bill.

Ozil was previously linked with lucrative moves to Turkey and USA in January, but there have been no clubs interested in signing the former Germany international in the current window, with his exorbitant wages a major stumbling block.

The playmaker previously confirmed that he was ready to stay at the Emirates and see out his existing contract.

"After this season I have one more year, so after that I will know because I can’t see the future," Ozil told The National in February.

"The thing I can do is give everything for the team, for myself, to be successful and let’s see what happens.

"What I know is that I will give everything for this club, for my teammates. We’ve had a difficult season, but we want to win games again, to take points, to maybe be in the top four at the end of the season.

"Our goal is to be in Champions League. This year we had difficult times, but I think we’re in a good way."

Ozil's agent also reiterated his client's stance. "Mesut has a one-year contract. There will be no change in this regard," agent Erkut Sogut told beIN Sports in May.

"So what happens next, time will show. Mesut will be 32 years old and will have a few more years in his career.

"Mesut and his family will make a decision. It will be the best of all.

"I cannot speak about Mesut and [the links to] Fenerbahce because I have no right to speak on this matter according to the principle of confidentiality."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.