Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Joe Thomas

Merseyrail update suggests when Hunts Cross disruption could possibly end

Merseyrail services on the Hunts Cross to Liverpool Central line could resume on Monday morning .

The organisation yesterday extended the cancellation of services to Tuesday as work continued on a suspected faulty cable.

But an update issued on Sunday said that repair work was "progressing well" and opened the door for services to resume on Monday.

Commuters were hit when services were cancelled from 6.30am on Thursday.

Since then rail replacement buses have run between Liverpool Central and Hunts Cross.

The issue has caused disruption for those travelling to work, Liverpool South Parkway and LIMF.

That could be over sooner than expected, however.

A statement issued by Merseyrail on Sunday afternoon said: "Train services between Hunts Cross and Liverpool Central are currently suspended due to a cable fault causing the power supply to the third rail to be severely reduced. Rail replacement buses are running between all affected stations.

"Network Rail have advised that services will continue to be suspended on Monday 22 July.

"Work to replace the cable is progressing well and it is possible that services will resume Monday morning. Please check back for the latest updates before you travel.

"We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience during this time."

Merseyrail is urging anyone thinking of using the service to check their journey before travelling at www.merseyrail.org

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.