Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Benjamin Roberts-Haslam

'Men in high vis jackets' steal kitchen from new restaurant

A man arrived at work on Sunday morning to find his restaurant had been hit by thieves.

Neil Lynch turned up to his restaurant and bar, Porto Vino, on the corner of Sussex Road and Fir Street in Southport on Sunday morning to find thieves had targeted the newly opened venue. The 47-year-old discovered all the kitchen equipment he had blocked in with a car around the back of the property had been stolen.

Neil said a woman working in the corner shop across the road from the venue told him men had turned up in a white van and high visibility jackets to take the equipment. He claims they told her they were there with his permission.

READ MORE: Mum's message to boy, 10, who approached her son in the park

Neil, who owns the business with his dad, Jimmy, and runs it with his mum, Joan, and girlfriend, Chloe, told the ECHO : "It's frustrating. We've only been open a few weeks. The staff can't work and we've had to hire a van to go find catering equipment that fits the kitchen.

"It's been a kick to be honest. Everyone has been such a big help. It's nice to see the neighbours care and I really do feel like we have become the beating heart of the community and a hub for everyone in the area."

The bar has only been open for six weeks but people in the area are now raising money for the family-run business. To read more or donate, click here.

A Merseyside Police spokesperson said: "We were called at 10.15am on Sunday (31 July) to reports that two sinks and other kitchen equipment had been stolen from the driveway of the business on Sussex Road. CCTV and witness enquiries are being carried out.

"Anyone with information can DM @MerPolCC or @CrimestoppersUK on 0800 555 111 quoting log 426 of 31 July."

Receive our weekly Sefton Live newsletter and breaking news email alerts by signing up here.

READ NEXT:

Special constable grabbed boy, 7, round the neck after being sprayed in water fight

Man in his 50s found stabbed in Liverpool street

Two men remain under investigation after man found dead

Man shot in 'targeted attack' at pub car park remains in hospital

Appeal for anything suspicious in Leroy Venner murder investigation

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.