Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Brittany Evins and Rebecca Chave

Men charged with lighting separate SA bushfires face court

Two South Australian men charged with deliberately lighting bushfires have faced court.

A 31-year-old Reynella man charged with deliberately starting two bushfires at Aldinga Beach last month did not apply for bail in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court this afternoon.

He is also charged with two acts to endanger life and failing to truly answer questions.

His identity was suppressed by the court.

The two grass fires started in scrubland on a severe bushfire risk day at Aldinga Beach Road and the Esplanade on December 28.

Police said the man's vehicle was seized for forensic examination and investigations were continuing.

The man is expected to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court again in October.

Another man charged over starting fires in South-East SA

Separately, an elderly man charged with four counts of starting bushfires in the South-East has been remanded in mental health custody until May.

A magistrates' court hearing in Mount Gambier this afternoon was told the man was yet to be psychologically assessed, but was believed to have dementia.

His identity was suppressed.

Police said the man lit fires around Rosetown, near Kingston, on Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

No properties were damaged in the fires, however police say a house came under threat during one of the fires on Saturday.

Police said the charges were not connected with a fire at Keilira last week, which was not considered suspicious.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.