
One of 11 people charged with murdering 15-year-old Solomone Taufeulungaki in the car park of a Melbourne shopping centre has been granted bail.
Solomone died after being attacked with knives and baseball bats in an alleged gang attack at the Brimbank shopping centre on the night of June 16, 2020.
One of the accused, Taataa Tafa, 21, appeared via videolink in the Victorian Supreme Court on Tuesday, and was granted bail in his second attempt at pre-trial release.
Justice Paul Coghlan found that long delays in running a large trial, combined with potential weaknesses in the prosecution case, constituted exceptional circumstances for Tafa, which could allow his release on strict conditions.
"The difficulty is that this case is a long way away from resolution, and to keep a young person on remand is not justified," he said.
A family friend and a youth worker both gave evidence that they would support the accused if he was released.
But Justice Coghlan noted that while most of Tafa's co-accused had already been granted bail, three of them had already been sent back into custody.
He said he was not as convinced as others that Tafa would behave himself.
"I will not hesitate to revoke your bail in a heartbeat," he warned.
The hearing continues.