Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics

Melbourne attack had links to Islamic State - police

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian police said on Saturday that a fatal stabbing attack in Melbourne in which one person and the attacker were killed was linked to Islamic State.

"There are links to the Islamic State," Australian Federal Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Ian McCartney told reporters in Melbourne when asked by a reporter if there were established links to the group. Islamic State had earlier claimed responsibility for the attack.

McCartney later said the link was more from an inspiration rather than direct contact. Counter-terrorism investigators were searching two properties in suburban Melbourne on Saturday morning as part of their investigation.

(Reporting by Tom Westbrook; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.