Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Entertainment
Siobhan Macdonald

Mel C risks Spice Girls feud as she slams Qatar after David Beckham's controversial £10m deal

Mel C is at risk of igniting a Spice Girls feud after revealing she would reject an offer to perform at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar if offered.

The singer, 48, said that she 'wouldn't be comfortable' cashing in a paycheck to perform in the Gulf State, due to its controversial human rights record. The star, who recently won the honorary gay award at the Attitude Awards, has long been an LGBT ally and spoke out against Qatar.

Mel, whose bandmate Victoria is married to Qatar ambassador David Beckham, told The Daily Mail: "Personally, I'm an ally to the LGBTQ+ community and it's not something I would feel comfortable in doing. People want to go over there and help to make a change. Each to their own, but it would be a no from me if the offer came."

This comes after the former England captain has faced widespread backlash for his £10 million deal to be an ambassador for the World Cup in Qatar. David accepted the offer despite the public's protests against the country's laws against LGBTQ+ people as well as its treatment of migrant workers and women.

Mel C isn't the only celebrity to condemn the human rights record of the host country, as Rod Stewart previously said he declined an offer to perform there. The Celtic daft singer revealed that he was asked to travel to the country to bang out a few of his hits 15 months ago, but turned down the opportunity.

Beckham issued a pre recorded speech praising Qatar for their organisation of the event (FIFA via Getty Images)

According to The Mirror, Sir Rod said: “I was actually offered a lot of money, over $1million, to play there 15 months ago. I turned it down. It’s not right to go. And the Iranians should be out too for supplying arms. Tell you what, supporters have got to watch out, haven’t they?”

Chart-topper Dua Lipa was also forced to deny rumours she would be playing at the World Cup, and slammed the claims. She wrote: "There is a lot of speculation that I will be performing at the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar.

"I will not be performing and nor have I ever been involved in any negotiation to perform. I will be cheering England on from afar and I look forward to visiting Qatar when it has fulfilled all the human rights pledges it made when it won the right to host the World Cup."

LGBTQ+ campaigners have been calling on celebrities to end their brand deals and boycott the World Cup, with Beckham and Robbie Williams facing backlash. Robbie was recently unveiled as one of the music acts set to play at the Qatar Live concerts during a press conference in Doha.

Robbie Williams in concert at The OVO Hydro on October 24 (Copyright (c) 2022 Shutterstock)

Meanwhile, David agreed a £10million deal to become an ambassador for the country over a decade, which has resulted in him being the face of the World Cup 2022.

Beckham and Williams aren't the only celebrities facing scrutiny for their choice to be involved in the 2022 World Cup, as Scots DJ Calvin Harris has been urged to pull out of his performance. The Acceptable In The 80s star is the headline act at a Fifa Fan ­Festival on December 10 at Al Bidda Park in Doha.

Harris has been criticised by gay rights ­campaigner Peter Tatchell who called on the DJ to rethink his decision to perform in Qatar. He said: “I’m a huge Calvin Harris fan so I feel incredibly ­disappointed that he’s performing in a ­country where women, LGBT+ ­people and migrant workers are treated as second-class citizens.

Calvin Harris has been urged not to perform in Qatar. (Sunday Mail)

“He’s been bought by the Qataris like other big-name stars such as David ­Beckham and Robbie Williams. They’ve sold their souls and principles for million-pound deals, putting profits before principles. It’s a slap in the face to Qataris who suffer repression at the hands of the regime.

“I urge Harris and other stars to search their conscience, pull out from the Qatar deal and speak up for human rights.”

Get the latest celebrity gossip and telly news sent straight to your inbox sign up to our daily Showbiz newsletter here .

READ NEXT:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.