There was little doubt of our hunger to return to normality as cars queued outside McDonald’s drive-throughs hours before they reopened today.
And as fast-food fans grabbed meals to go, there were plenty of other indicators that the country is getting back on the move...
McDonald's
Burgers were back on the menu as McDonald’s pulled up the shutters at 33 drive-throughs across the South East.
Despite the sites offering a limited menu, cars were bumper-to-bumper before opening time at 11am in queues not seen since the Boxing Day sales.
Follow our live blog for the latest coronavirus news and updates

The chain capped orders to £25 per car and said it will close sites if they became over-congested.
McDonald’s said: “McDonald’s and its franchisees are working closely with local authorities and the police, and may determine it is necessary to close lanes if queues cause disruption at busier sites or put employees or customers at risk.”
The giant aims to have all of its drive-throughs open by early June.
Buses
Bus operators First Bus, Stagecoach and Arriva have added extra services after limiting passenger numbers to 25% of capacity to help ensure social distancing.

First Bus said drivers will do a head count using a device on ticket machines, closing doors and setting off when 25% capacity is reached. Passengers who make it on will be asked to sit a safe distance apart.
Dave Lynch, of parent company FirstGroup, said: “We have been working round the clock to find ways to innovate so we can ensure safe, socially distanced space.”
Stagecoach and Arriva want commuters to wear masks and sit by a window on their own unless with a family member – and keep seats in front and behind free.
Passengers paying with cash must have the exact fare, as drivers will not give change to reduce the risk of infection. The Confederation of Passenger Transport said it was keeping people up to date “on how they can play their part to keep the bus network safe”.

A Transport Focus poll revealed 72% would not travel unless social distancing was in place – up from 62% two weeks ago. And 62% would not be happy to use public transport unless passengers had to wear face masks – up from 51%.
Shops
Poundland re-opened 34 stores yesterday, taking the total trading to 49 this week. Furniture Village has re-opened six sites while the remaining 46 will be ready for trading on Saturday.
And John Lewis has outlined plans to get ready for shoppers as it anticipates a green light.
Perspex screens have been fitted at checkouts and information desks. Stores with large car parks are likely to open first and private buses may ferry staff to work if public transport is an issue.

Clothes tried on but not bought will be quarantined before returning to rails and floors will get 2m spacing stickers.
But the firm may have to halt consultations on baby goods, fashion and technology until social distancing is axed.
Operations chief Andrew Murphy said: “We want to be safe – not fast.”
Pubs
Pubs bolstered their case to reopen on July 4 with new proposals to satisfy the Government that they can safely serve food and drink.
Trade body UK Hospitality said plans include no drinking at the bar, no salt and pepper or sauces on tables, and cutlery brought to diners with their food in table service only.

Roped off areas, restrictions on kids’ playgrounds and patrolled smoking areas are also on the cards.
UKH chief Kate Nicholls said the draft guidelines have been shared with governments in England, Scotland and Wales.
She added: “We hope the guidelines will help businesses draw up plans based on their premises, ensuring safety is at the forefront when the right time comes to reopen.”

Kick-off 3pm Sat... on the telly
Football fans without Sky or BT Sport could be able to watch live matches for free at 3pm on Saturdays, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden suggested.
Broadcasters have previously been banned from screening fixtures at that time amid fears fans would watch on TV rather than attend games.
But matches are due to take place behind closed doors when the season resumes.
Mr Dowden said: “I think that creates an opportunity for us to be able to get some sport, some Premier League, free-to-air.”
He added: “Those discussions are ongoing.”

Mr Dowden also offered hope for UK staycations, saying he’d “love to get the tourism sector up as quickly as we possibly can”.
Mayors' plea for homeless
Mayors have urged the Government to seize a “once in a generation” chance to tackle rough sleeping after the crisis.
Labour leaders in Manchester, Liverpool, London, Sheffield and North Tyne want ministers to deliver a new funding package.
During the pandemic more than 5,000 rough sleepers have been offered emergency digs.

But the initial funding package is due to run out within weeks and ministers say getting them in longer-term accommodation is up to skint local authorities.
Councils say extra funding to tackle Covid-19 is too little.
Labour leader Keir Starmer backed a joint statement by the mayors, which said: “When this crisis is over, we cannot return to business as usual.”
Boris boosts gongs hope
Boris Johnson has given the clearest hint yet that he will back a medal for our NHS heroes.
The PM said this year’s June honours announcement will be delayed to autumn so it can recognise the contribution of those fighting Covid-19.
In a written statement to Parliament, he said: “The Government is clear there will be opportunities to mark the contributions of so many – but at the appropriate time.”
It was the latest boost for the Mirror’s Give NHS Heroes a Medal campaign and came after Captain Tom Moore, 100, was given a knighthood for raising £33million for the NHS.
Brits looking at holidays abroad as restrictions lift
Bookings for holidays to countries that have lifted travel restrictions spiked this week, in a sign the nation is getting back on its feet.
Portugal and Greece have eased their lockdowns and Spain plans to end its own next month.
Experts believe millions of Brits are banking on a September getaway. Hays Travel co-founder Irene Hays said: “At the moment they are booking for September. Without a doubt, the British people are ready for a holiday.”

“People are choosing places where beaches are less busy, like Ferragudo in Portugal where social distancing is 20 meters.
"Island holidays to the Balearics and Canaries are also popular.”
The firm has brought 3,000 out of 5,000 staff back to work to cope with demand.
Specialist company Responsible Travel said there had been a surge in enquiries this week as Brits’ buoyed by reports of hotspots lifting quarantine rules were anxious to get away.
Customer director Tim Williamson said: “I’m optimistic there’ll be summer holidays abroad and a strong autumn. We’re seeing high interest in Lapland and Northern Lights breaks.”
And today, EasyJet will announce its plans for bio-security measures to protect passengers and staff when it resumes flights.
They are not expected to include leaving the middle seat on jets empty.