Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Phil Kirkbride

Mason Holgate injury latest as Everton defender facing extended spell on sidelines

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that Mason Holgate may be sidelined for longer than first thought.

The Everton defender injured his toe during the pre-season friendly with Preston North End and missed Sunday's season opener with Tottenham Hotspur.

Holgate underwent scans earlier this week and felt he was facing a potential six week lay-off.

But Ancelotti has now offered a gloomier prognosis.

The Blues boss admits he is braced for the possibility of being without the 23-year-old for longer.

Following the 1-0 win over Spurs on Sunday, Ancelotti said: "There is no update.

"We are where we said when he had the injury, that it was for 8-12 weeks."

Holgate's absence has focused the club's efforts on finding defensive cover and Chelsea's Fikayo Tomori is of interest with Everton looking at taking the 22-year-old on loan.

*Sign up for our FREE daily Everton newsletter here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.