Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Entertainment
Jamie Roberts

Martin Bashir pictured for the first time since Princess Diana allegations

Martin Bashir has been pictured for the first time since the allegations regarding his Princess Diana interview for BBC Panorama broke.

It was found on Thursday that the reporter had used deceitful tactics to get an interview with the royal.

And the 58-year-old was photographed on Wednesday for the first time since the allegations as he took to the streets looking dishevelled.

He wore smart brown shoes but paired it up with casual blue denim jeans, a lighter blue zip up hoody and a darker blue overall coat.

He pulled his hood up over his head to avoid the poor weather but cut a forlorn figure as he trudged the streets.

He held on to what looked to be a small bag.

Martin Bashir looked dishevelled as he trudged the streets (Paul Grover)

A report into his interview published on Thursday concluded that he had acted inappropriately and was in serious breach of BBC guidelines.

The presenter quit his role with the BBC amid the scandal due to ill health.

Bashir, who was religious editor for the BBC, had been on sick leave since August 2020 after he contracted coronavirus after having a quadruple heart bypass operation.

But the report on Thursday by Lord Dyson, the former master of the rolls and head of civil justice, found Bashir guilty of deception after Diana's brother Earl Spencer alleged that Bashir showed him fake financial documents relating to his sister’s former private secretary Patrick Jephson, and another former royal household member, and told outlandish and untrue stories about the royal family to gain access to her.

It was also reported that the BBC has sent personal apologies to the Prince of Wales, the dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, and Diana’s brother Earl Spencer since the announcement.

The BBC has also confirmed that they are going to return the BAFTA it received in 1996 for Bashir's interview.

In a statement, the corporation said: "The 1995 Panorama interview received a number of awards at the time.

“We do not believe it is acceptable to retain these awards because of how the interview was obtained.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.