Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Sport
Scott Bailey

Maroons search for new coach suffers double setback

Queensland legends Kevin Walters and Cameron Smith won't be the state's next Origin coach. (Daniel Pockett/AAP PHOTOS)

Billy Slater's old pair of assistants in Matt Ballin and Ben Te'o loom as the two leading candidates to take over as Queensland coach, after Cameron Smith and Kevin Walters ruled themselves out of the race.

In a seismic Monday night for Maroons State of Origin officials, Smith first pulled out of the running.

The champion hooker had been the early frontrunner to replace Slater, who had publicly backed him to do a "fantastic job" if handed the job.

Queensland captain Cameron Munster and Wayne Bennett had also endorsed Smith as the man to take over, before the 43-year-old ruled himself out of the role.

But a little over 24 hours later, the state's most-capped player said it was not the time for him to take on a head-coaching role at the Maroons.

(L-R) Cameron Munster and Cameron Smith.
Cameron Munster enjoyed his time in Queensland camps with another Storm star Cameron Smith. (Darren England/AAP PHOTOS)

"I've heard comments from Wayne Bennett (endorsing me) and I really appreciate the sentiments, but it's not the role for me at this current time," Smith said on Nine's 100% Footy.

"I was lucky enough to be involved in the camp with the players and Billy when he started in 2022 and '23 and thoroughly enjoyed my time.

"But there was a reason I stepped away after 2023. I couldn't fully commit to the role and at the time that was an assistant coach, not head coach.

"And nothing in my life has changed."

There had also been conjecture that Walters could stand down from his post as Australia's Test coach after the World Cup and return to the Maroons.

Walters coached Queensland to two series wins during his stint in charge between 2016 and 2019 and would have had arguably the best resume of all candidates.

(L-R) Kevin Walters and Cameron Smith.
Maroons greats Kevin Walters and Cameron Smith won't be plotting NSW's downfall anytime soon. (Dave Hunt/AAP PHOTOS)

But he too confirmed to News Corp on Monday night he would not be taking on the Maroons job, vowing to honour his two-year deal as Kangaroos coach.

That leaves Queensland officials with a search for Slater's replacement.

Ballin now shapes as a likely frontrunner, having served as Slater's assistant since 2023.

The 42-year-old played an Origin for the Maroons in 2010 and was a leading option for the full-time job at Manly this year before Kieran Foran's hot start.

He has been on Brisbane's staff since 2021, and is highly regarded in Queensland.

Matt Ballin.
Matt Ballin has been involved with the Maroons for a number of years. (Darren England/AAP PHOTOS)

Te'o has also served as an assistant to Slater and had held a similar role to Ballin on Brisbane's staff before his high-profile exit earlier this year.

The back-rower played seven games for Queensland between 2012 and 2014, and was in charge of the Broncos' defence through last year's premiership run.

Slater's other key member of staff, Johnathan Thurston, has already ruled himself out of the running.

Josh Hannay is another who long served on the Maroons coaching staff, but it is understood Gold Coast would be unlikely to allow him to juggle Titans and Queensland duties.

Anthony Seibold has also spent time as a Maroons assistant and could shape as another option.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.