Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Crissy Froyd

Marcus Mariota on playing the backup role: ‘it’s going to be different’

Marcus Mariota is no longer the starting quarterback of the Tennessee Titans — at least for Week 7’s contest against the Los Angeles Chargers.

After a dismal performance that saw him throw two interceptions in last week’s 16-0 loss to the Denver Broncos, Mariota was replaced by backup quarterback Ryan Tannehill late in the third quarter.

Tannehill wasn’t able to put any points on the board, but looked like the better option, going 13-of-16 passing for 144 yards with one interception.

On Tuesday, the Titans announced Tannehill would be the starter going into the team’s upcoming matchup.

Mariota said he felt disappointment, and acknowledges things will not be the same from this point.

“It’s going to be different,” he said. “I’m going to do everything I can to help Ryan (Tannehill) and help this team.”

Over six starts this season, Mariota has completed 94-of-159 pass attempts for 1,179 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions.

Since being drafted by the Titans in 2015, he is 1,109-of-1,764 passing for 13,183 yards with 76 touchdowns and 44 interceptions.

The Titans will face the Chargers at 3:05 p.m. CT on Sunday in Nissan Stadium.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.