Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Ben Doherty

Manus refugee attacked for second time amid tension over Australian centres

Manus refugee Joinul Islam
At the time of the attack Islam was still suffering from a damaged arm sliced open several months ago. Photograph: Supplied from Manus Island

A refugee has been attacked in Manus for a second time amid rising tensions in Lorengau and protests from Manusians over the new Australian-run refugee centres in the town.

The Guardian first spoke with Bangladeshi refugee Joinul Islam last month during the standoff at the decommissioned immigration detention centre at Lombrum when he said he feared for his safety if he was taken back to Lorengau.

At the time Islam was still suffering from a damaged arm sliced open several months ago with a machete when he was attacked in Lorengau. It had not properly healed and promised follow-up surgery had not eventuated.

Joinul Islam in November, after he was attacked with a machete at Lorengau on Manus Island, and had his right arm seriously injured.
Joinul Islam in November, after he was attacked with a machete at Lorengau on Manus Island, and had his right arm seriously injured. Photograph: Ben Doherty for the Guardian

Islam had gone days without sleep and without access to painkilling medicine when he spoke to the Guardian at the detention centre.

“I cannot go back there, I cannot go back. How can I go to Lorengau? I need a safe place,” he said.

He said he felt under intense pressure to quit Manus Island, abandon his protection claim altogether, and risk returning to Bangladesh.

“All the time is pressure. My life is very difficult. I have been running five years.” he said.

Islam was forcibly removed to Lorengau at the end of the standoff between refugees and immigration authorities and his fears about returning there were realised on Monday when he was attacked at the town’s market.

The assault, in which he was hit in the face and had money and his phone stolen, has been reported to police. No one has yet been arrested.

Pictures obtained by the Guardian show injuries to Islam’s face, and him being transported on a stretcher.

Joinul Islam being taken to hospital after being attacked.
Joinul Islam being taken to hospital after being attacked.

The attack on Islam comes at a time of increasing tension over the three accommodation centres built by the Australian government near Lorengau, the main town on Manus.

The imposition of the transplanted refugee population in the small, familial community – in particular the building of the accommodation centres on customary land – has sparked protests across the town.

The East Lorengau centre, the longest-standing of the three Australian-built centres, has been blockaded by landowners, who are protesting the centre’s presence.

On Tuesday, landowners used trucks, cars and a picket line to stop any staff from the Australian Border Force, PNG’s immigration authority or subcontractors Paladin and JDA from entering the site. They put up signs warning staff to stay away, stopped food supplies getting in, and have threatened to attack refugees who try to leave.

There are reports from the island that landowners are demanding millions of kina in compensation from the PNG and Australian governments.

“The landowner is stopping even one person to leave the camp,” one refugee said.

“I was having my medical appointment in general hospital but they threatened me with a knife … they told me, ‘if you move outside of the gate, we will kill you’. My friend and I were almost stabbed by them.”

Kurdish Iranian refugee and journalist Behrouz Boochani, who is currently inside the East Lorengau centre, said the gates were blocked with two trucks.

“The landowner is not happy with the companies working in the prison camps,” Boochani said. “Already ... the landowner of East Lorengau camp warned Australian staff and case managers from Port Moresby that they must leave Manus soon.”

Boochani said the dispute was not related to refugees, but that they were suffering and at risk if the conflict escalated.

“We don’t want to be dragged into this problem. The government must guarantee our safety. We respect the protesters but it’s a problem we did not make. We are only watching the issue unfold because we are very worried about the conflict between the landowner, ABF and other companies escalating.”

The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees has been on Manus Island this month, and has issued a situation report of conditions on the island.

It details security concerns – refugee accommodation has been repeatedly attacked, including by people carrying knives who have breached centre perimeters – as well as concerns over inadequate medical treatment, the abolition of torture and trauma counselling, and the absence of caseworker support.

There are not enough showers and toilets in the accommodation blocks. In one accommodation block, five of the 11 toilets – for 150 people – did not work. Refugees in two of the three centres are also being supplied with untreated water, posing a potential health hazard.

Accommodation is overcrowded and cramped, and there are no translators for refugees who do not speak fluent English, leaving them unable to seek proper medical treatment.

According to the UNHCR, there are 801 refugees and asylum seekers held on PNG – between the three sites on Manus and Port Moresby; and 616 have been formally recognised as refugees. The UNHCR stressed that those who do not have refugee status are not “non-refugees” but have not been granted formal protection because of mental health conditions, changes in their circumstances, or non-engagement with the Papua New Guinea refugee determination process.

The UNHCR reiterated its call for Australia’s offshore detention regime to be ended, and for durable solutions to be found for refugees on the two islands, who remain Australia’s legal responsibility.

“Long-term solutions remain needed for all people transferred by Australia to Papua New Guinea and Nauru. Neither Papua New Guinea nor Nauru are appropriate places for local integration for the majority of refugees and asylum-seekers, particularly given their acute needs as a result of prolonged detention and harsh conditions.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.