Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Kadeem Simmonds

Manchester United given boost as key West Ham player suspended

Manchester United were handed a boost ahead of next weekend’s Premier League fixture against West Ham.

United head into next Sunday’s trip to the London Stadium in fine form.

The unbeaten start to the season sees Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side top the league on goal difference.

And what looked like a difficult match has got slightly easier.

The Hammers drew 0-0 with Southampton on Saturday afternoon. But the match ended with striker Michail Antonio picking up a second yellow card of the game, thus earning him an early trip to the dressing room.

The red card rules the striker out of the United game and manager David Moyes said his player was “stupid” to lunge in when on a booking.

He said: “It can happen in football, I think after getting booked the first time he was stupid to lunge in on the second one.

These things in football happen and we are not going to make too big a deal of it. He has got himself sent off and at the time it looked like the referee got it right, but I have not seen it again so I can't completely make a judgement on it. These sort of things can happen and it has done today.”

HAVE YOUR SAY: How big a boost is Michail Antonio's suspension for Manchester United? Tell us in the comments section.

Antonio has four goals in four games so far this season.

Before United’s away match against West Ham, United take on Young Boys in the Champions League.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.