Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Richard Fay

Manchester United confirm Axel Tuanzebe expected return date

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he expects Axel Tuanzebe to be available for selection again after the international break next month.

The Manchester United defender has been stepping up his recovery at the club's Carrington training complex as he continues his rehabilitation from a foot injury.

MEN Sport reported earlier in the month Tuanzebe has fully recovered from his recent foot surgery and not suffered any fresh setbacks in his recovery, with a source close to the defender saying 'he feels brand new'.

The 22-year-old last played for United in the League Cup quarter-final win over Colchester on December 18 and hasn't been included in a matchday squad since March.

However, Solskjaer has provided a welcome injury update on the centre-back and indicated he hopes to have him back for selection when United travel to face Newcastle on 17 October.

“He’s getting closer to training with the team. He’s on the grass and after the international break he should be fine to join us,” Solskjaer told MUTV.

“During lockdown he was working hard, then as soon as we got going after the restart his foot was sore so he had to have an operation.

“Now he’s really raring to go again. I’m looking forward to getting him back.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.