Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Callum Rice-Coates

Manchester City evening headlines as inquest continues after FA Cup exit

Here are the Manchester City evening headlines for Sunday July 19.

Gundogan gives verdict on FA Cup semi-final defeat

Ilkay Gundogan has admitted Manchester City were not good enough in Saturday’s 2-0 FA Cup semi-final defeat against Arsenal.

Pep Guardiola’s side dominated possession but struggled to break down their opposition, who scored twice on the break through Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

And Gundogan pointed to a lack of energy in the first half as he attempted to explain the result.

“It was not good enough today to go to the final,” the Germany international told ManCity.com.

“The energy we had in the second half was ... the one we needed in the beginning. Sometimes, things like that happen.

“We were frustrated and disappointed with the first half result. We had two good chances in the beginning when we won the ball in front of their goal but after that, we stopped playing.”

Former City striker gives Guardiola advice Aguero and Jesus problem

Shaun Goater has advised Guardiola to sign a new striker this summer following Gabriel Jesus’ good run of form.

The Brazilian has been given an extended run in the team following another injury to Sergio Aguero, who turned 32 last month.

And Goater has made clear his view that City should be seeking out a long-term successor to the Argentine.

“What's happening now is what Jesus needed,” Goater said.

“He needed that time and space where he didn't look over his shoulder and think 'I've only got two games because I'm going to be brought off in the 70th minute in the second game because Sergio Aguero is going to go and play the rest of the games.' He's got the time knowing that it's him that will play and as each game goes by, his form has started to come, he's started to score goals.

“I think with Sergio Aguero having one more season they need to be looking and to add to the squad. Whether that's at some point next season, the early part of the season or the window at New Year. I think that's an area City will have to strengthen.”

City winger set to stay at Leeds for another season

Jack Harrison will remain on loan at Championship winners Leeds for another season, the club’s director of football Victor Orta has confirmed.

The 23-year-old has impressed for the Whites, whose promotion to the Premier League was confirmed on Friday.

And Harrison will get the opportunity to further his development under Marcelo Bielsa in the top flight next season.

“A key player has been Jack Harrison, who will continue one more year with us in the Premier League,” Orta told Radio Mallorca, via HITC.

“We have reached an agreement with City and we will continue to do so on loan next season.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.