Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Blake Foden

Man with COVID-19 caught breaching isolation order: police

Adam Thomas Muscat has been refused bail. Picture: Facebook

An O'Connor pensioner allegedly defied an order to isolate at his home after testing positive for COVID-19, with police claiming to have found him at a unit in Watson.

Adam Thomas Muscat, 47, was refused bail when he appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday morning.

In documents tendered to the court, ACT Policing said Mr Muscat had been directed on September 3 to isolate for at least a fortnight after he was found to have been infected with the coronavirus.

Officers visited him for a routine compliance check on Sunday morning.

"[He] understood that he had been diagnosed as COVID-19 positive and that he was required to remain at his premises, though expressed that he did not agree with the diagnosis as he had not seen evidence," police said in court documents.

Despite his apparent understanding of the situation, Mr Muscat is alleged to have turned up at a motel on Northbourne Avenue, in Lyneham, about 3.20pm that afternoon.

A woman known to him was staying there and is said to have yelled at him before calling police.

MORE COURT AND CRIME NEWS:

Officers claim to have subsequently discovered Mr Muscat at a unit in A'Beckett Street in Watson about 5.15pm on Sunday.

He was arrested and is said to have made "spontaneous utterances" about having only gone to the motel to return a phone to the woman who had called police.

Once he had been taken to the ACT watch house, police allegedly found a small clip seal bag containing a substance suspected to be methamphetamine in his clothes.

The 47-year-old appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court via phone from the watch house on Monday morning.

He was charged with three offences, which included failing to comply with a health direction and possessing a drug of dependence.

Mr Muscat applied for bail but Magistrate James Lawton refused it, saying in part that he was concerned the pensioner would fail to front court as required in the future.

The 47-year-old, who did not enter pleas, was therefore remanded in custody until his next court appearance, which has been listed for October 5.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.