Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Freddie Keighley

Man Utd set up coronavirus testing station in training ground car park

Manchester United have set up a testing facility in the car park of their Carrington Training Complex to test players and staff for coronavirus ahead of a return to training next week.

The Red Devils are the latest of a number of clubs who are carrying out testing in line with the Premier League's Project Restart plans to resume the season.

Wolverhampton Wanderers were the first side to test staff for COVID-19 on Monday, when over 10 members of their backroom staff were swabbed.

Wolves have set up a drive-through station at their Compton training ground where nose and mouth swabs were carried out by Premier League-approved medics.

United have set up the testing station in the car park of their training ground (Eamonn and James Clarke)

Samples were then sent to London for analysis and returned to the club's doctor, with further tests to be carried out later this week and at further regular intervals.

Wolves returned to training on Monday for the first time since the Premier League season was suspended in March, while United are set for a staggered return to Carrington starting next week.

Groups of twos or threes are set to conduct sessions with a reduced coaching staff after foreign players who returned to their native countries during the pandemic were told to return to the UK two weeks ago.

Odion Ighalo, Bruno Fernandes, Fred, Victor Lindelof and Sergio Romero arrived back in England last week, while the Red Devils squad has been told intensify their personal training sessions, according to the Manchester Evening News.

Victor Lindelof, Paul Pogba, Anthony Martial and Andreas Pereira trained together on Tuesday while maintaining social distancing and Pereira is hoping that larger sessions can take place later this month.

Pereira told Brazilian outlet GloboEsporte last week: "We had a meeting and were told that if everything is going well, we'll be back in training on May 18 in groups of six. If that goes well, a week or two later, we'll be able to train as a group.

"There will be six players training initially and there won't be much contact between us. We'll still be separated and training in different parts of the pitch. Those precautions have to be followed. I don't know who'll be in my group yet."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.