Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Cristiano Ronaldo selection decision

By Ben Husband

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo will definitely be involved for Manchester United this weekend and will make his second debut against Newcastle United

The 36-year-old signed a two-year contract on deadline day, returning to Old Trafford more than a decade after he ended his first spell at the club.

Ronaldo was swiftly given the iconic No.7 shirt he wore with such distinction during a six-season stint which saw him win three Premier League titles and a Champions League.

Upon leaving United, the forward joined Real Madrid where he would go on to establish himself as one of the greatest players of not only his generation - but of all time.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner then joined Juventus in 2018, but after three seasons in Italian football decided to return to the Premier League.

Following his move back to United, the Portugal international was forced into a five-day quarantine, as per the current government guidelines.

He was then allowed to meet face-to-face with his new manager Solskjaer, before joining his new teammates in Wednesday’s training session at Carrington.

And Solskjaer has confirmed he will be involved on Saturday, he said: "He's had a good week with us here. He'll definitely be on the pitch at some point, that's for sure.

"Everyone is very happy to have him back, the mood has been very good. We are looking forward to Saturday of course."

His second debut promises to be one of the most highly anticipated Premier League matches in recent years, but thanks to scheduling commitments from the broadcaster will not be shown on live TV.

Both Sky Sports and BT Sport had already selected the games that would be shown live, well before Ronaldo shook the footballing world to its core late last month.

Ronaldo will be involved against Newcastle, Solskjaer has confirmed (ManUtd/Twitter)

Therefore, Newcastle ’s visit to Old Trafford will be in the traditional 3pm slot on Saturday afternoon and in-keeping with the blackout rules introduced to protect live attendances, it will not be shown on UK television.

A capacity crowd inside the Theatre of Dreams will be ready to welcome back their hero however, with tickets fetching thousands of pounds on resale sites.

"Of course I will be nervous on Saturday, but I am more mature, I am more experienced," Ronaldo told the club’s official website. "I will be prepared and I am going to make pressure to Ole now to start in the XI [laughs]. I am ready to go!"

United have failed to win a league title since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement in 2013, but Ronaldo is adamant that he has returned to the club with the express desire of lifting silverware.

This is why I am here,” he continued. “I am not here for vacation. As I told you, before was good, winning important things and I wore the shirt before many years ago, but I am here to win again. I am capable, me and my team-mates.

“I am ready to go, I am ready to go. It is a good chance for me, for the supporters, for the club, to get one step ahead. I am ready and I think I will be a huge thing in the next three or four years.”


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.