Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Man United sign Dutch midfielder Van de Beek

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Champions League Semi Final First Leg - Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax Amsterdam - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, Britain - April 30, 2019. Ajax's Donny van de Beek celebrates after the match. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

Manchester United have signed Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax Amsterdam on a five-year contract, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.

Financial details of the deal were not disclosed but British media reported that United paid an initial fee of 35 million pounds ($47 million) for the 23-year-old.

"I cannot begin to explain how incredible an opportunity it is to join a club with such an amazing history," Van de Beek said in a statement https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-officially-announces-donny-van-de-beek-signing.

"I would like to thank everyone at Ajax. I grew up there and I will always have a special bond with the club.

"I am now ready to take the next step in my career and perform at the highest level and there is no higher standard than Manchester United."

Having joined Ajax at the age of 11, Van de Beek scored 41 goals and provided 34 assists in 175 appearances in all competitions and helped them win the Dutch league title in 2018-19.

"Donny has all of the technical attributes needed to perform in this team," United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said.

"His ability to see space, time his movements and read the game will really complement the qualities that we have in midfield."

United have also been linked with Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho but the German club have ruled out the possibility of the 20-year-old England international leaving.

United finished third in the Premier League last season to secure Champions League qualification.

The Premier League season kicks off on Sept. 12 but United, who played in the Europa League semi-finals last month, begin their campaign against Crystal Palace at home on Sept. 19.

(Reporting by Manasi Pathak in Chennai,; Editing by Toby Davis and Ed Osmond)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.