
A man is set to stand trial for the rapes of two teenage sex workers in Melbourne more than 30 years ago.
Theodoros Tsalkos has pleaded not guilty to 27 charges, including falsely imprisoning and raping the girls, then aged 15 and 16, in May 1987.
His lawyers disputed the DNA evidence used to charge him.
But Melbourne magistrate Luisa Bazzani on Tuesday found there was enough evidence for the 59-year-old to stand trial.
"In this case it would appear the DNA evidence directly links you to the allegations made by the complainants," she said.
Melbourne Magistrates Court was previously told Tsalkos worked as a brothel "sitter", in charge of security, at the time.
Then aged 25, he allegedly pretended to be a police officer, picked the girls up at St Kilda and drove them to an unlit laneway at night.
"Well girls, you've been busted for prostitution. I'm an undercover cop," Tsalkos was accused of telling the teens.
"How would you like it if I blew your brains out?"
He allegedly raped one girl, told her he had AIDS and threatened to stab the other unless she complied with his demands.
Tsalkos was then accused of driving the girls to an unused public toilet and continuing to assault them before dropping them back on the street.
One alleged victim died before Tsalkos was charged in 2020.
He remains on bail and is due to appear in the County Court for a directions hearing of February 16.