Man stabbed football fan who asked him to stop blocking view of screen

By Luke Traynor

A man stabbed a football fan in the toilets of a hotel, after the victim asked him to stop blocking the TV during one of England's Euro 2020 games.

Plumb Hysa, 30, of Bootle, Merseyside, knifed the 59-year-old man despite earlier seeming to have become friendly with the victim following a brief altercation.

The victim had been at the Mill Hotel in Chester, as part of a stag do along with his friends on July 3, where they were watching England's quarter-final clash against Ukraine.

READ MORE: Dopey dealer's simple mistake led police to huge cannabis haul

CCTV footage showed that at 7:53pm, shortly before the match began, Hysa was asked and gestured to move as he was blocking the TV.

A court heard he agreed and everything seemed friendly with Hysa even going over to hug and take selfies with the victim as they cheered England's four goals.

But during the match the thug armed himself with a steak knife which he put under his baseball cap before transferring it to the waistband of his trousers.

Plumb Hysa was jailed for nine years (Cheshire Police)

The victim then draped an England flag over Hysa and they were seen laughing together as they went to the toilet with their arms around each other.

But once at the urinals the "atmosphere changed" before it "kicked off out of nowhere" and Hysa "ferociously" stabbed his victim three times.

A witness who had been at the hotel with his wife had gone to the loo at about the same time and was in a cubicle when Hysa and the victim went to the urinals.

He heard the two in conversation before hearing the victim say "put that knife down" before calling out "he has stabbed me".

The witness emerged from the cubicle and alerted a member of staff, who in turn alerted the hotel manager while police were called.

Police arrived and during his arrest Hysa was left semi-conscious after being punched in the face by the victim's friend.

The victim was taken to the critical care unit to be treated for life threatening injuries and he required urgent surgery after one of the wounds pierced the small bowel and caused internal bleeding, while one wound narrowly missed his heart.

Hysa later pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon.

He was jailed for nine years at Chester Crown Court on Thursday.

Judge Patrick Thompson said: "You commenced a ferocious attack with that knife, during which you stabbed the victim three times, causing him serious injuries.

"It's a matter of luck, really, that he was not killed.

"It's clear you had lost all sense that night. You were intent on inflicting serious harm on anyone who came your way."

In a victim impact statement, the man said he still required hospital treatment two months on, he had had difficulty sleeping, and was forced to miss two weeks of work.

Ian Henderson QC, defending, said: "There is a hard-working, decent man in there.

"He and those around him are keen he pays his penalty to society and goes back to doing what he can."

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.