Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Matt Drake

Man stabbed flatmate to death over row about haircut

The victim had only been in the country for three weeks before he was murdered by Sepulveda-Garcia ( Metropolitan Police )

A man has been found guilty of murdering his flatmate by stabbing him to death with a kitchen knife after arguing about a haircut.

Jairo Sepulveda-Garcia, 37, of no fixed address, stabbed Spanish national David Lopez-Fernandez, 32, inside Pat Shaw House in Globe Road, Bethnal Green, east London on 25 February.

The building was formerly a care home for elderly people until it closed in 2018. Homeless people were living there at the time of the murder, according to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). 

After a trial at Southwark Crown Court, Sepulveda-Garcia was found guilty of one count of murder on 18 December and is due to be sentenced on Friday.

Mr Lopez-Fernandez had only been in the country for three weeks before the attack. On the day of the murder, he called Sepulveda-Garcia and asked if he wanted a haircut.

An argument broke out after the victim hurt him with a pair of clippers while cutting his hair, Sepulveda-Garcia told police.

Witnesses saw Mr Lopez-Fernandez stumble out of the room, saying he had been stabbed before collapsing in the hallway.

He suffered six wounds including a severe injury to the back of his knee. Paramedics were called but could not revive him.

Sepulveda-Garcia fled the building but later handed himself in to the police.

Cath Carrie, of the CPS, said: “This was a mindless murder over a trivial matter. David Lopez-Fernandez had moved to London to start a new life and this was cruelly snatched away from him.

“Mr Lopez-Fernandez had only been in the country for three weeks and was not armed when he went to Sepulveda-Garcia’s room and offered to give him a haircut. He could not have predicted the violence that would ensue.

“Although nothing can bring their loved one back, I hope this conviction provides some comfort to the family and friends of Mr Lopez-Fernandez.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.