Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Jenny Kirkham

Man shot in the back in latest firearms attack on Merseyside

A man was rushed to hospital after being shot in the back on a busy road.

Emergency services were called to Aintree Road in Bootle shortly before 6pm on Friday to reports that shots had been fired .

The victim, a 21-year-old man was then taken to hospital and police said he was in a "serious but stable" condition.

The shooting is the fifth in Merseyside this week, and witnesses at the scene said they believed the victim had been taken to hospital by car before emergency crews arrived.

One woman said: “It used to be that you would hear about this stuff in the morning because it had happened over night, not at 6 o’clock in the evening.

"They could have hit a child or someone just coming out of their house, it’s disgusting.”

Police at the scene after a man was shot in the back in Aintree Road, Bootle (Liverpool echo)

Another neighbour added: “They are bringing it to the front doors of ordinary, hard working people and it’s getting out of control. They think they’re so hard but I mostly just pity them.”

A large police scene was in place on the road as people reported seeing armed officers in the area shortly after the shooting .

Forensics officers worked with torches to gather evidence at the scene, with one looking in the garden of a property at the junction of Aintree Road and Timon Avenue.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “We are investigating tonight, Friday, 29 November, following reports of an injury firearms discharge in Bootle.

“Officers were contacted at 5.45pm to reports that a 21-year-old man had received a gunshot wound to his back in Aintree Road.

“The man has been taken to hospital for treatment.

“An investigation is currently underway and house-to-house and forensic enquiries are being carried out in the local area.”

Police closed off Aintree Road in Bootle after a man was shot in the back (Liverpool echo)

Chief Inspector Col Rooney said: "The investigation is currently in its early stages and we are working to establish exactly what has happened here.

"I would appeal for anyone who was in the area around Aintree Road this evening who has seen anything to contact us a matter of urgency as they may have information which is vital to this investigation.

"I want to reassure the public that we are committed to tackling gun crime and we will continue to take action to protect our communities."

Information from the public is vital, anyone with information or dascham footage is asked to contact us by calling 101 or DM us @MerPolCC quoting ref 0734 of 29 November, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.