
A man who grabbed a nurse off a Melbourne street and dragged her into an alleyway has been acquitted of attempted sexual assault.
Jackson Williams had been out clubbing and drinking when he grabbed the 39-year-old from behind as she walked to work through the CBD early on October 28, 2018.
CCTV showed Williams grabbing the woman in a headlock and dragging her into Healeys Lane as she screamed and struggled.
He put his hand over her mouth and was on top of her before running off when an off-duty police officer intervened.
Williams was found not guilty in Victoria's County Court on Tuesday of assault with the intent to commit a sexual offence.
But the 21-year-old was convicted of an alternative charge of common assault.
He faced a judge-alone trial because of the suspension of juries during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Judge Mandy Fox found the footage showed an intentional and violent assault.
But she said there wasn't enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt it was sexually motivated.
Williams did not attempt to sexually touch or undress the victim or himself, the judge said.
The man told police he'd been drunk and did not give evidence at his trial.
He didn't dispute he was the man in the CCTV who grabbed the nurse as she made her way to work at an inner-city hospital.
Williams' lawyer, Rosalind Avis, previously said it would be wrong to rule out another motive for the assault, such as theft.
Prosecutor Stephanie Clancy argued it "strained credulity" to suggest the man was trying to do anything other than commit a sexual assault.
Williams remains on bail and is due to return to court for a plea hearing on November 12.