Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
Niki Burnside

Man killed in 'traumatic' stabbing at home in Canberra's north

A 27-year-old man died on Saturday from "extensive" injuries after an alleged murder in Charnwood in Canberra's north.

A 27-year-old man has died following an alleged murder at a Charnwood home in Canberra's north on Saturday.

ACT Policing confirmed the man had died after he was allegedly stabbed inside the home about 1:30am on Saturday at a townhouse complex.

Paramedics were called but the man died from his injuries, described as "extensive", on the way to hospital.

Late on Saturday, police said a 26-year-old man was in custody assisting them with their investigation, but no charges had been laid.

It is understood that the victim and the alleged attacker were known to each other.

Detective Acting Superintendent Matt Craft said one other individual had witnessed the incident.

He said the witness was also assisting police with their inquiries.

"They were a witness to the matter, obviously a very traumatic time for them, and also for the families of all that are involved," he said.

"Certainly it's a terrible, tragic incident for them so we'll be doing everything we can to wrap as much support around them as we can."

They also said drugs had not played a role in the incident and that it had no connection to bikie activity.

Homicide detectives were tasked with investigating the circumstances of the man's death, asking anyone with information that might assist to come forward.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.