Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Sun-Times Wire

Man killed, 6 hurt in Chicago shootings Thursday

Chicago police at the scene where five people were shot Jan. 16, 2020, at a barbershop in East Garfield Park. | Sam Kelly/Sun-Times

Seven people were shot Thursday in Chicago, including a 23-year-old man who was killed in a double shooting in Little Village.

Sergio Sanchez, 23, was walking with the 22-year-old woman about 9:15 p.m. when two males in masks came up behind them in the 3200 block of West 24th Street, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. As the pair turned around, the males opened fire, striking Sanchez in the chest and leg and the woman in the hip and leg.

Both victims were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where Sachez, who lived in Little Village, was pronounced dead, authorities said. The woman, 22, was stabilized.

The shooters fled south on Sawyer Avenue, police said. No arrests have been reported.

Hours earlier, five people, including three children, were shot at a barbershop in East Garfield Park.

Two people walked into Gotcha Faded barbershop about 6:15 p.m. in the 200 block of North Pulaski Road, looked around and walked back out, police said. Then they fired shots into the shop from outside.

An 11-year-old boy was hit in the back, abdomen and left arm, police said. Another boy, 16, was shot in the hip, while a third boy, 12, was struck in the knee.

They were taken to Stroger Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized, police said.

The 11- and 12-year-old boys are brothers who were getting their hair cut at Gotcha Faded for the first time, their mother, Cierra Mobley said. Their father’s classmate works at the shop, she said, and they wanted to support the business.

Mobley arrived at the shop after one of her sons called her saying he had been shot, she said. From there, officers directed her to Stroger.

Two men, 30 and 40 years old, were also struck, police said. The older man was hit in the thigh and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, and the younger man took himself to Loretto Hospital with a gunshot wound to the arm. Their conditions were stabilized.

A toddler was also in the barbershop when gunfire erupted but was not hit, police said.

“We have to do something about this violence.” Deputy Chief Ernest Cato said at a news conference at the scene. “This has got to be a cooperation with the community and organizations. This will not be tolerated anymore.”

Detectives were reviewing video at the scene, police said.

On Wednesday, three people were killed and three more were wounded in citywide gun violence.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.