Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Sun-Times Wire

Suspect in fatal Walgreens shooting turned himself in: police

The suspect in a fatal shooting June 12, 2019, at a Walgreens in the 4800 block of West Fullerton Avenue surrendered to police on June 19, 2019.

A man wanted for the fatal shooting of a woman suspected of shoplifting last week at a Northwest Side Walgreens turned himself in to police on Wednesday.

The 33-year-old surrendered Wednesday evening at the Calumet District police station, 727 E. 111th St., police said. He is being questioned by Area North detectives, and charges are pending.

At 11:30 p.m. on June 12, the armed man arrived at the store, 4817 W. Fullerton Ave., and started tussling with 46-year-old Sircie Varnado, authorities said. After she fell to the ground, he shot her in the face, police said.

Varnado was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital. An autopsy confirmed she died from the gunshot wound, the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Store employees told police the shooting stemmed from a possible shoplifting incident, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

A Walgreens spokesman wrote in a statement: “We are committed to providing a safe environment for our employees, patients and customers in the communities we serve.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.