Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Lucy Bladen, Julia Kanapathippillai

Man in custody after incident near ASIO building

Polcie investigate scene at Constitution Avenue. Picture: Karleen Minney

A man is in custody and assisting with inquiries after police responded to an incident at a building on Constitution Avenue in Campbell shortly after noon on Wednesday.

Traffic is back to normal after police blocked access to Constitution Avenue between Anzac Parade and Russell Offices. The road was closed for a number of hours.

An ACT Policing spokesperson said police had responded to an incident at a building on Constitution Avenue about 12:10pm on Wednesday.

Witnesses said businesses and some residences along Constitution Avenue were evacuated at about 12.20pm as police patrolled the area near the ASIO office.

Pictures: Karleen Minney

ACT Ambulance Service vehicles also attended the scene.

Witnesses said police ordered onlookers from balconies back inside.

ACT Policing said a man had been taken into custody and buildings had been evacuated as a precaution.

"There is no threat to the wider community," an ACT policing spokesperson said.

The public was asked to stayed away from the area.

A Campbell resident moved away from their balcony as the police investigated. Picture: Karleen Minney

ASIO did not comment on the incident, stating it was a matter for ACT Policing.

More to come.

Do you know more? Email l.bladen@canberratimes.com.au

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.