Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Chicago Tribune

Man held on $1.5M bail in 2015 Austin slaying

April 01--A 19-year-old man was ordered held in lieu of $1.5 million bail Thursday after being charged with fatally shooting a 23-year-old man outside his Austin neighborhood home last year.

Marquise Willis, of the 4900 block of West Hirsch Street appeared before Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. at the Leighton Criminal Court Building.

He is charged with fatally shooting Dan Rance, of the 700 block of North Long Avenue, on Sept. 2, according to prosecutors. After parking his vehicle outside his home, Rance was standing outside. At that time, Willis and another man were spotted parking an SUV down the block near Long and Huron avenues.

A witness had spotted the same SUV in the same location earlier. Willis, who was seated in the SUV's front passenger seat, got out and walked toward Rance, prosecutors said. Willis' companion stayed next to the SUV.

Several people said Willis was not wearing a shirt at the time but did have a red shirt wrapped around his head. They said it did not obscure his face.

Willis walked up and fired several shots at Rance, who fell to the ground, prosecutors said.

Willis then allegedly walked closer and fired additional shots at Rance.

After the shooting, Willis returned to the SUV and fled the scene. Rance's body had 18 gunshot wounds, according to prosecutors.

Rance was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead of multiple gunshot wounds. His death was ruled a homicide by the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.