A man has been found dead inside a Melbourne hotel room, his throat slashed.
Victoria police said officers were called to the Crown Metropol hotel, on Whiteman Street in Southbank, at about 2.40am on Sunday. They found the man with a laceration to his neck.
“The man died at the scene and the circumstances surrounding his death are yet to be established, but it is being treated as suspicious,” police said in a statement.
Police cars remained outside the hotel on Sunday morning as homicide squad detectives gathered evidence from the scene.
Man found dead with throat slashed at Melbourne hotel: http://t.co/xJbSvkT0YE #9News pic.twitter.com/KPAakyWylI
— Nine News Melbourne (@9NewsMelb) July 4, 2015
Guardian Australia has contacted Crown for comment.
Detective Sergeant Nathan Favre from the homicide squad told reporters it was believed the man had been involved in an altercation before his death.
A group of people were believed to have been at the scene, he said, adding that police had interviewed a person who witnessed the assault, but who was not a suspect.
“At this stage its not believed it is a domestic violence matter,” he said. “Security at the hotel contacted police. There were people in the foyer at the time who have made themselves known and made it known a male [needed] medical attention.”
The incident was not thought to be gang or drugs related, he said.
Detectives were working their way through CCTV footage, Favre said, and urged anyone with information to contact Crimestoppers.
The man was believed to be in his 30s, he said. While yet to be formally identified, Favre said the man was known to police.