Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Meagan Dillon and Daniel Keane

Man facing charges over 'Mother of Satan' explosives is a 'loving grandad', stepdaughter says

A controlled blast in the Davoren Park backyard.

An Adelaide man facing charges over explosives allegedly found at his home is "not a terrorist" but a "grandad who loves his kids", his stepdaughter claims.

Aaron Ellis, 43, faced court on Tuesday after police raided his home on Monday night.

Police carried out four controlled blasts in the backyard of his Davoren Park home, after allegedly finding a volatile explosive known as "Mother of Satan" in his shed.

In a press conference police said he had "right-wing, even nationalist anti-Muslim views", but said they were not treating it as a "terrorism-related incident".

His stepdaughter Maddi, who withheld her surname, told media on Wednesday morning she wanted her father to be released on bail.

"He's just a loving grandad who loves his kids and his family," she said.

"We want him home. We want him to come home … no-one likes seeing their parents being arrested."

Mr Ellis remains in custody and will find out whether he will be granted home detention bail on Monday.

"He doesn't want to talk about the offences out of fear of incriminating himself and yet without explaining the reason behind this he's going to have difficulty getting bail," Magistrate Gary Gumpl told defence lawyer Josh Bach on Tuesday.

Images of chemicals and devices allegedly found at Mr Ellis's home were provided to the court.

'Shrapnel landed on my roof'

Homes surrounding the Heytesbury Road address were evacuated before the bomb squad carried out the controlled detonations, after placing sandbags around the backyard.

Neighbour Al Cook said the incident has left him "gobsmacked", and said he was home at the time of one of the blasts.

"In hindsight, absolutely. I was here for the first blast because the coppers couldn't contact me," he said.

"All the shrapnel landed on my roof … the actual sound was deafening."

Mr Ellis was earlier charged with possession and manufacture of explosives.

Police have defended not evacuating homes earlier, explaining it was for safety reasons.

"At that particular time it was located in the shed, it was in a controlled environment, there was no risk at that particular time," Acting Assistant Commissioner Craig Patterson said.

"The risk really is when we begin to move it."

"Mother of Satan" is a nickname for triacetone triperoxide, also known as TATP, which has previously been used in attacks around the globe and is manufactured with household chemicals.

A forensic chemist attended the scene on Tuesday to oversee the removal of the material from the shed into holes in the backyard.

"There's an in-depth investigation as to what the motives were and why this particular individual had this substance," Acting Assistant Commissioner Patterson said.

Police Minister Corey Wingard would not comment on the time gap between the alleged discovery of the chemicals on Monday night and the evacuation of surrounding homes on Tuesday.

"Any situation like this is alarming," he said.

"I commend police for their swift actions to keep South Australia safe."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.