Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sam Russell & Jonathon Manning

Man faces jail for murdering father and son who were shot in villages six miles apart

A man who murdered a father and son is facing a lengthy prison sentence after pleading guilty to their murders. The bodies of Fary Dunmore, 57, and Joshua Dunmore 32, were found in separate properties on March 29.

Gary was found in a property in The Row in Sutton, while Joshua's body was found in Meridian Close, Bluntisham, in Cambridgeshire. Despite being murdered by the same man, the two victims were six miles away from each other and in different villages.

Stephen Alderton, 67, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to their murders at a hearing at Cambridge Crown Court today (Wednesday, July 28). He spoke only to confirm his name and enter his pleas.

READ MORE: The stranger in the red cap who destroyed a woman's life

After the hearing, Cambridgeshire Police said that Alderton shot Joshua Dunmore twice in the hallway of his home in Bluntisham shortly before 9.10pm. Alderton then travelled to Sutton 31 minutes later where he shot Gary Dunmore three times in the hallway of his home.

Alderton then fled in his campervan but was arrested at around 1.30am the following day on the M5 near Worcester. He was interviewed by police but did not answer any questions.

Stephen Alderton is facing a lengthy prison sentence after admitting the murders of Gary and Joshua Dunmore (Cambridgeshire Police/PA Wire)

Alderton pleaded guilty to the murders but denied one count of possession of a firearm, a double-barrelled shotgun, with intent to cause fear of violence to another person, a neighbour of one of the victims. Prosecutor Peter Gair said there was “no public interest to be served by seeking a trial” on the count and the judge ordered that it lie on file. Judge Mark Bishop remanded Alderton in custody to be sentenced on October 20.

At the time of the murders, the police said their primary line of investigation was that the incident related to a "familial issue". Detective chief superintendent Jon Hutchinson previously said that it had been widely reported in the media that this may relate to a custody battle”. He added: "I can confirm that is an active line of inquiry for us."

At court on Wednesday, prosecutor Mr Gair said they were “still at an early stage in terms of getting evidence that will help” in the case. “There’s an application before the family court,” he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.