Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Sun-Times Wire

Man dies weeks after being shot by police in Calumet City

A man died April 8, 2021, after being shot by police March 25, 2021, in Calumet City. | Adobe Stock Photo

A Calumet City man died Thursday after being shot by police weeks earlier in the south suburb.

Alvin Burrage, 26, was shot multiple times March 25 and died Thursday morning from complications of his injuries, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Calumet City police said an officer shot Burrage just before 5 p.m. during a traffic stop in the 500 block of Jeffrey Avenue after Burrage “began to raise a handgun in the officer’s direction.”

Burrage allegedly fired back several times without striking anyone, got back into his vehicle and fled, police said.

He was found in critical condition at St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago and charged with attempted murder, police said.

Police said the officer only fired one shot at Burrage, but an autopsy by the medical examiner’s office said Burrage died from “complications of multiple gunshot wounds.” The autopsy ruled his death a homicide.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.