Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Matthew Hendrickson

Woman murdered because gunman thought she was responsible for brother’s overdose: prosecutors

A man was charged with fatally shooting a woman Sept. 6, 2020 in Englewood. | Adobe Stock Images

A 49-year-old man killed an Englewood woman because he believed she was responsible for his brother’s deadly overdose, Cook County prosecutors said Friday.

Jerry Yarbor’s younger brother had been found unresponsive in a vehicle on Sept. 5.

Kobayashi Wylie-Hill was killed the next morning, prosecutors said.

Shortly after 1 a.m. on Sept. 6, Yarbor went to Wylie-Hill’s apartment, in the 6100 block of South Carpenter Street, and allegedly confronted her while she was in the bathroom.

Wylie-Hill, 36, said she had nothing to do with Yarbor’s brother’s death. Still, Yarbor fired multiple times into the bathroom door before leaving the apartment, prosecutors said.

Several witnesses who were also in the apartment either saw the shooting or saw Yarbor walking out of the unit with a gun, prosecutors said.

Wylie-Hill was able to leave her building after she was shot, but collapsed outside and later died, prosecutors said.

Yarbor’s brother’s death was eventually determined to be an overdose, prosecutors said.

Jerry Yarbor

A witness who did not know Yarbor’s real name, told investigators his nickname was “Red Rum” and pointed them to his Facebook page, prosecutors said. Yarbor has a tattoo that reads “Red Rum” and friends refer to him as “Red” on his social media account, prosecutors said.

Yarbor was taken into custody Wednesday in Roseland and charged with first-degree murder.

When asked about Wylie-Hill after he was taken into custody, Yarbor allegedly said “May she rest in piss” but denied killing her.

Any of Yarbor’s relatives could have had the same motive for killing Wylie-Hill, an assistant public defender argued Friday.

There was also no physical evidence connecting Yarbor to the shooting, the defense attorney added.

Yarbor was ordered held without bail. He is expected back in court on April 1.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.