Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News

Man charged with murder after fight at Kingston Hotel

Police are investigating the death of a 44-year-old man on Sunday at the Kingston Hotel.

A 35-year-old man has been charged with murder, following the death of another man at a pub in Canberra on Sunday.

Warren Hordpenko, 44, died on Sunday night after a fight at the Kingston Hotel.

Police believe Mr Hordpenko, who was from Dalmeny on the NSW South Coast but worked in the ACT, did not know the man who allegedly attacked him — Kerry Kourpanidis, 35.

"There is no previous relationship that we're aware of between the two men," Detective Inspector Matt Reynolds said on Friday morning.

But he said Mr Hordpenko and Mr Kourpanidis had seen each other earlier on Sunday evening at the Kingston Hotel.

"As a result of that incident, the 35-year-old male later returned to the Kingston Hotel where the incident took place," Detective Reynolds said.

Documents tendered to the ACT Magistrates Court revealed Mr Kourpanidis left the pub after a meal with his partner, six-year-old daughter and another person.

But it is alleged he returned some time later, going straight into the pool room, where he accused Mr Hordpenko of an offence against his child.

"You f***ed with my daughter, c***," Mr Kourpanidis is alleged to have told Mr Hordpenko.

The documents alleged Mr Kourpanidis then tackled Mr Hordpenko off a stool and to the ground, punching him several times in the head.

Police said two other men in the bar left, fearing they would be attacked.

Mr Hordpenko was found unconscious on the floor a short time later.

Police officers were called to the hotel on Sunday about 9:15pm after reports of a disturbance.

Once there, they found ACT Ambulance Service paramedics already treating Mr Hordpenko. He died at the scene a short time later.

Detective Reynolds said police had already taken statements from many patrons who were in the pub at the time, as well as hotel staff.

He also thanked the public for their help, after ACT Policing released a CCTV image of Mr Hordpenko on Thursday.

"The incident occurred in the pool room [of the Kingston Hotel]. There is no coverage of CCTV in that particular place, however the hotel has numerous other CCTV cameras," he said.

"Police went through all of the CCTV of the Kingston Hotel and identified the offender.

"We are very appreciative of the public's help in this matter."

Mr Kourpanidis was arrested on Thursday and charged with murder.

During a brief appearance in the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday afternoon, his lawyer argued the events did not justify the charge and he should be allowed bail.

But Magistrate Lorraine Walker refused Mr Kourpanidis bail and he was remanded in custody until later this month.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.