Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
April Roach

Man charged 'after snapping selfies with dinosaur models in closed Australian museum'

A man has been charged after he allegedly broke into a museum in Australia to snap selfies with dinosaurs models and steal a hat from a closed exhibit.

The 25-year-old man has been charged with "break and enter" after he allegedly climbed up scaffolding into The Australian Museum, Sydney, at around 1am on May 10 and went for a leisurely wander through the exhibits.

The heritage-listed museum has been closed since last year for renovations and local police said the refurbishment work helped the man gain entry to the exhibit.

Most museums and galleries are currently closed in Australia as part of the country's coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

The man allegedly spent 40 minutes wandering through exhibits in the museum (New South Wales Police)

Police will allege at Central Local Court today that the man spent 40 minutes in the museum, attempting to gain access to rooms, looking through storage spaces and taking "selfies" with exhibits.

Security cameras appeared to capture the man posing with his head inside the jaws of a Tyrannosaurus skull and searching cupboards.

Police said the man allegedly stole a piece of artwork and a cowboy hat off a stand, believed to be owned by a member of staff, before he left the premises.

Secutiry footage showed the man snapping a selfie in the jaws of a T-Rex model (New South Wales Police)

While the break-in has been said to resemble Ben Stiller's Night at the Museum film, police were keen to emphasise the seriousness of the crime.

New South Wales Police Detective Chief Inspector Sean Heaney said: "We're lucky he hasn't damaged any historical artefacts or anything that is expensive in there."

When appealing for the public's help to track down the suspect, the Deputy Chief Inspector told reporters: "It's not going to be a movie producer knocking on your door.

"It's going to be the NSW police knocking on your door."

Officers attached to Sydney City Police Area Command arrested a 25-year-old man after he turned himself in at Surry Hills Police Station at 5pm on Sunday .

Police said he was refused bail and is due to appear at Central Local Court today.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.