Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National

Man attacked with machete at London train station

A man was attacked with a machete at Enfield Town Station in north London on Sunday morning, police said.

The victim was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and arms but they are not considered to be life-threatening.

British Transport Police officers were called to the London Overground station on Southbury Road at 3.11am.

Two men, both 20 years old, were arrested during a search of the area following the attack and remain in custody.

“We are appealing for further information following an attack with a machete at Enfield Town Station,” said a spokesman for the force.

“A man suffered wounds to the head and arms. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

“His injuries are not considered to be life threatening or life changing.”

Knife crime has risen to an all-time high in England and Wales since records began in 2011, according to official statistics released last month.

A total of 43,516 offences – including unlawful possession as well as those involving injury - were reported to police in the year to March 2019.

Witnesses are asked to contact BTP by texting 61016 or by calling 0800 40 50 40 and quoting reference number 76 of 04/08/19.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.