Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Stephen Topping

Man 'at his wit's end' smashed Jobcentre windows with bricks as staff 'did not help'

A man smashed four windows at a Jobcentre after being left 'at his wit's end' as he felt staff were 'deliberately obstructive', a court has heard.

Gary Scott, from Oldham, caused £3,720 of damage after targeting the town's Jobcentre on Union Street while it was closed.

The 58-year-old, of Neild Street, appeared in Tameside Magistrates' Court today (November 29) having already pleaded guilty to criminal damage.

READ MORE: Most Mancunians back wearing masks in shops and on public transport to tackle Omicron variant, survey reveals

Prosecuting, Tina Cunane told the court that Scott was seen on CCTV using bricks to trash four windows at the Jobcentre on July 17.

Ms Cunane said that when questioned by police, Scott said he had drunk 'three cans' before smashing the windows, but told officers he 'was not drunk when he did the damage'.

She told the court that when he was asked why he did it, Scott said: "I feel like they were not helping or supporting my needs.

"All I wanted to do was change my benefits - change my details on a new address. They did not help me."

A statement from a member of staff at the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) said that Scott's actions had been a 'big inconvenience'.

The case was heard at Tameside Magistrates' Court (M.E.N.)

Probation officer Sarah Delaney told the court that Scott had become homeless and was frustrated with staff at the Jobcentre.

She said: "He had become homeless after living in supported accommodation in Oldham. He says he was not receiving any money.

"He told me he was at his wit's end. He was feeling completely depressed and in complete turmoil.

"He believed staff were being deliberately obstructive.

"His mother also sadly died a week prior to the offence and on an emotional level he was not coping at all."

Ms Delaney told the court that Scott was sectioned under the Mental Health Act one month after the offence, having attended A&E at Royal Oldham Hospital feeling 'depressed and suicidal'.

She said that Scott has since been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia but is now back in temporary accommodation, and felt his mental health 'would have been linked' to the incident.

Ms Delaney added: "He chose a time [to smash the windows] where he knew there were no staff in the building."

District judge Mark Hadfield described the incident as a 'deliberate revenge attack' - although it had taken place 'out of hours'.

He said: "You had no regard whatsoever for the impact of your actions on staff at the centre of other service users.

"It's a totally selfish act on your behalf."

Scott was ordered to pay £500 towards the cost of the damage and was handed a community order, including a 12-month mental health order.

Get more news from where you live straight to your email inbox by subscribing to the free MyOldham newsletter here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.