Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Josh Halliday North of England correspondent

Man held over racist graffiti at Salford home of 10-year-old boy

Jackson Yamba, with his son David, 10.
Jackson Yamba, with his son David, 10. Photograph: Christopher Thomond/The Guardian

A man has been arrested on suspicion of spraying racist graffiti at the home of a 10-year-old boy and his father days after they moved in.

Jackson Yamba, 38, said he was told that officers from Greater Manchester police made the arrest on Wednesday morning.

The force confirmed that a 54-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage.

The graffiti daubed on the Yambas’ front door.
The graffiti daubed on the Yambas’ front door. Photograph: Christopher Thomond/The Guardian

Yamba spoke earlier this week about how his son, David, found the message “no blacks, no blacks” on the door of their flat five days after they moved in on 3 February.

He reported the incident to police on the same day but the police only launched a hate crime investigation after Yamba’s tweet was shared thousands of times on Saturday night.

“I feel sorry for [whoever did this] because it looks like they need help,” Yamba said on Wednesday. “We are in the 21st century and taking into account that Britain is a multicultural society, this evil act has no place.”

Supt Howard Millington of GMP’s Salford division said: “While we have a man in custody, our inquiries into this deplorable crime are very much ongoing.

“I want to emphasise that we are acutely aware of the strength of public feeling surrounding this incident. Both CID and neighbourhood officers are looking into this crime and we are working closely with our partners to support the victim, as is the case in all hate crimes.

“Let me reassure people that where incidents of this nature take place, we will always pursue a prosecution. If you have information which could assist the police with our investigation, please contact us as soon as you can.”

The graffiti prompted a wave of condemnation from police, politicians and members of the public.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, described it has a “truly atrocious and depressing act” while Salford’s MP, Rebecca Long-Bailey, said she was shocked and appalled by the “sickening” attack.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.