Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Peter Stubley

Man arrested at Buckingham Palace 'over firearm offence'

A man has been arrested at Buckingham Palace after being caught with a Taser, say police.

The 38 year-old was stopped by security staff at the visitors' entrance shortly before 12.47pm on Sunday.

Officers were called to the scene and he was arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm, namely a Taser.

He was taken to a police station in central London for questioning.

The Metropolitan Police said the incident is not related to terrorism.

Buckingham Palace said it did not comment on security matters, but there were no royals in residence at the time.

The Queen is currently at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on her summer break.

There have been several incidents outside the palace in recent years.

Last year a man was charged with a terror offence after allegedly attacking police outside the London landmark with a sword.

In October a woman was charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour after attempting to climb the gates.

Additional reporting by Press Association

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.